4.5 Hours on DVD - ASHA credit for SLPs
This is the first part of a two part course specifically for providers who work with toddlers with red flags for autism. Each part of this course may be purchased separately.
Whenever I ask therapists to list their needs for future workshop topics, overwhelmingly the #1 answer I receive is AUTISM!
Many of us struggle to decide if our youngest clients are late talkers, are a little “quirky,” or if they truly meet the guidelines for an autism diagnosis.
In Part One of this course "Is It Autism? Recognizing Toddlers with Red Flags for ASD," you’ll gain the skills and confidence you need to reliably identify the signs and symptoms of autism in toddlers and young preschoolers using the official DSM-5 criteria. We’ll discuss that complex information in detail and break it down so that you truly understand what autism is and isn’t.
Even when you’re not responsible for giving an official diagnosis, you can be assured that you’ll be equipped to help parents understand what’s going on with a toddler who is missing developmental milestones and exhibiting red flags that may suggest autism.
Counseling and coaching parents who are just beginning to recognize that their child has a developmental problem can be challenging, intimidating, and even scary for therapists who don’t feel that they have the expertise to answer a parent’s tough questions. After this course, you’ll be better equipped with the information you need to navigate these important, real life discussions.
This course is available for .45 ASHA CEUs for speech-language pathologists and 4.5 training hours for other professionals. With purchase you'll receive a set of 2 DVDs, a course manual and copy-ready handouts for parents, and all forms required for processing CE credit including a self-assessment of concepts, a program evaluation, certificate of completion request and ASHA CEU participant for (if applicable). To obtain CE credit, you must return the required forms via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail in the envelope provided with the course.
This course is offered in two parts and may be purchased separately or together. Part Two of this course, "Is It Autism? Treating Toddlers with Red Flags for ASD," focuses on intervention and is 6.5 hours. For more information, click or copy and paste this link: http://teachmetotalk.com/2016/06/02/autism-course-dvd-now-shipping/
1. Separate “late talkers” from children with red flags for autism and other global developmental delays/disorders using criteria firmly grounded in evidence-based practice
2. Definitively determine which toddlers should be referred for further evaluation for autism (and which ones shouldn’t!) using a list of behaviors that are easily observable during assessment and early therapy sessions
3. Reliably identify the diagnostic criteria for ASD in your youngest clients with video examples so you’ll know what to look for with your own caseload
4. Explain core deficits of autism to parents using easy-to-understand descriptions
5. Identify co-occurring conditions and diagnoses which may prevent or delay an autism diagnosis in toddlers